The Community page is where sangha members can post self-organizing sangha participant activities such as hikes, picnics, outings, etc. These activities are not initiated nor officially sponsored by Upaya Sangha of Tucson LLC.
If you would like to post an event, please send an email to Sensei Al Genkai Kaszniak with the title, event description, date of the event, where to meet, how to contact you, etc.
Bill Thompson’s Art & Poetry
Click here to see Bill Thompson’s art and read his poetry.
Cochise Stronghold Retreat
For many years, Nancy and I have hosted individuals who wish to go on solitary or nature retreats at Cochise Stronghold Retreat Center. Many of you have visited this very special canyon outside of Tucson, AZ.
We wish to leave the day-to-day operations that go into Cochise Stronghold and are seeking an individual or couple to come and live here as site manager/s. This is a wonderful opportunity for individuals who live mindfully and have some experience or wish to gain experience in running a retreat center. The job description is outlined below. This is a full-time position “on site.”
Please send a letter of inquiry to email@example.com if you are interested in learning more. We would appreciate you forwarding this email to anyone in your network who might be interested.
You can also find a link to the job listing on Facebook here – feel free to share widely in your social network.
Job Description – Manager of Cochise Stronghold Retreat
Cochise Stronghold Canyon Nature Retreat operates as a small-scale meditation and spiritual retreat center, as well as a wilderness destination. Guests come for meditation and spiritual retreats; to hike; bird-watch; enjoy abundant wildlife; and to appreciate the serenity of wild nature at this remote mountain location. The business is permitted as a bed and breakfast; see Coshise Stronghold Retreat Center website and Dharma Treasure – Personal Meditation.
John and Nancy Yates wish to retire from the active daily duties of managing the retreat center. Their vision is that the facility and its natural environment continue to operate as a mountain canyon refuge; that the land be well cared for; that others benefit from quiet support for meditation, spiritual development and nature enjoyment. They will train the new manager and also help facilitate transition efforts for the center’s successful continuation with new partners.
Qualities Desirable for the position
Avid interest, enthusiasm and experience in outdoor recreation, wilderness and nature appreciation. Strong enthusiasm, interest and familiarity with meditation and spiritual practices. Responsibility, initiative, friendliness, a sincere interest in helping others and excellent communication skills.
College degree and/or experience providing assistance in an office environment; excellent computer skills.
– serve as office manager;
– correspond with prospective guests;
– hold dates and confirm reservations;
– process payments;
– maintain reservation systems, calendar management;
– meet, greet and provide site orientation to guests;
– anticipate and meet guests needs;
– book-keeping: keep income and expense records current using Quickbooks;
– fulfill legal obligations (i.e. tax filing, reporting) working with accountant as necessary;
– carefully monitor cash flow;
– develop, maintain and improve website, AirBnB listing, Facebook page;
– market and promote Cochise Stronghold Retreat through increased online presence;
– recommend and develop organizational efficiencies;
– manage grocery shopping and supply needs;
– stay current with insurance company requirements.
– develop operational manuals for maintaining and protecting all major site equipment – i.e. well, septic fields, water lines, hot tub;
– develop & co-ordinate site maintenance schedules;
– oversee cleaning, monitor state of sparkling clean, occasionally will need to clean;
– oversee building and property maintenance, occasionally will need to do maintenance;
– oversee landscaping and grounds maintenance, occasionally will need to do maintenance;
– oversee maintenance of Firewise efforts and permaculture installations;
– oversee maintenance of safety for ingress and egress routes and site safety.
Please send your resume to:
A chemically sensitive friend of a sangha participant, Joy Bannerman, needs a rental for around $600/month. Joy is an artist, a published poet, medical botanist, was a civilian project officer for the Marine Natural Resources Educational Initiative, and was a visiting professor in Environmental Security at the Naval Postgraduate School-Monterey. She’s been living at one of those big complexes near River/Craycroft and they’ve just done heavy remodeling and she’s going downhill. Something with tile or cement flooring that hasn’t been “bug bombed” and has good indoor and outdoor air quality would meet her needs. She has a small and very cute service dog. Joy is a naturally spiritual person and we often discuss Buddhist ideas, which she seems to gravitate to naturally, but I don’t think she has a regular practice right now, at least in part due to environmental stresses.
SEEKING MEDITATORS AGE 50 & UP FOR A STUDY ON MEDITATION AND COGNITION
We offer compensation for your participation and there is free parking outside the lab. If interested, please contact us at (520)-621-5721 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi Dharma friends, the information above is about a study on meditation and cognition being done at the UA with subjects who meditate and are 50 years old or more. They’ll require two visits to the lab, and there is a small stipend ($25) to sweeten the pot, but just the fact they they’re doing this was motivation enough for me. Please pass it on if you know others who’d like to participate.
Wishing you well,
Steve Ross, M.A., L.M.F.T.(CA)
Mindful Counseling & Consulting
Buddha Journey in India
15 days, 14 nights tour
March 5th to 20th, 2017 (other flexible dates also available)
$2,350 USD per person (based on double occupancy). Individual, small or large groups welcome.
Contact Bradley Stroup: Phone 520-345-7696; email: email@example.com
Interested in More Regular Longer Sitting Opportunities?
If you are interested in more regular longer (e.g., half-day or full-day) meditation opportunities, and have the space to host a sitting session in your home, please contact Val Mustain <firstname.lastname@example.org>